Mobility Cup is a “regatta of possibility” where personal, social, geographic, technological and organizational barriers are challenged in the spirit of friendly competition. It is international in scope, inviting people from around the globe to participate, for the purpose of excellence, discovery and learning.
The purpose of the Mobility Cup Regatta is to demonstrate that sailing is an inclusive, accessible and integrated sport/recreation available to all persons. Our credo: “ANYONE can sail independently regardless of his or her physical ability or disability”.
Mobility Cup is a major event. The exposure and fundraising provides a great opportunity for the host committee to leave a legacy of funds, capital equipment, accessible facilities and programs which will have a positive impact for years to come.
Mobility Cup is an event the competitors never forget! Every year, participants meet old friends made at previous events as well as new acquaintances.
The Mobility Cup regatta is governed by the AbleSail Network Canada (ASN) (www.ablesailnetwork.com) who determines where the event will be held each year and oversees policies and procedures.
Sailors are divided into two fleets - Gold fleet for more experienced racers and the Silver fleet for newbies and those who are still honing their racing skills. The boat used for the regatta is the Martin 16, a sailboat specially designed for sailors with disabilities. (martin16.com)
Prizes and Awards
- The Mobility Cup Trophy is presented to the winner of the Gold Fleet
- Le Coupe Dallaire Trophy is presented to the winner of the Silver Fleet
- The Sam Sullivan Trophy is presented to the highest finishing competitor using sip & puff technology|
- The Darin Tucker Sportsmanship Award is presented to a sailor, selected by the organizing committee, displaying fair play and grace, respect for the sport and respect for fellow sailors.
- The Debbie Donald Award is presented to the highest placing female sailor in either Gold or Silver Fleet.
- The Hamilton Harbour Commission Trophy is presented to a first time Mobility Cup participant who has the highest finish amongst all other qualifying rookies.